What We Do
Poverty will be eliminated in Guelph & Wellington.
To work collaboratively, informed by diverse voices of experience, to take local action and advocate for system and policy change to address the root causes of poverty.
Pathways describe the mechanisms that are used to affect change. The following describes how we deliver on each of our pathways.
ADVOCATE & INFORM:
• Champion and give voice to the need for system and policy change that address the root causes of poverty
• Inform stakeholders and decision-makers about local needs and priorities to influence policy and service design, delivery and evaluation
COLLABORATE & INVOLVE:
• Convene people with diverse skill sets, to address priority issues through collective effort and contribution of expertise
• Identify meaningful opportunities for stakeholders and community members to be involved in poverty elimination efforts in our community
COMMUNICATE & ENGAGE:
• Communicate and educate to increase awareness, shift attitudes, and further priority issues, big ideas, specific policies, community needs, and aspirations
RESEARCH & MOBILIZE KNOWLEDGE:
• Conduct community-based research to enhance shared understandings of complex issues and to inform action and advocacy efforts of the PTF
• Share knowledge to build capacity, inform decisions, policies and system change
- We value lived experience. We believe that peers are experts in their own experience and provide important perspectives. We are committed to meaningfully involving peers in the planning, delivery and evaluation of our work.
- We recognize the intersectionality and interlocking of oppressions and seek to address these realities in our work. We are committed to the principles of equity, inclusion, and social justice.
- We believe in an evidence-informed approach. This includes learning from the lessons found in traditional academic literature, less formal ‘grey literature’ like organizational or government reports, and the lived experience of professionals, service users, community members, and everyone in between.
- We understand that being adaptable and responsive is our advantage. We work with people, communities, and partnerships, and on priority issues, that are complex and always changing. Our impact depends on our ability to anticipate change and adapt and respond in a way that furthers our mission.